These are wonderful – if I could live on marzipan alone I would, and these hit the mark. Chewy, almondy (yes that’s a word), light meringue cookies. I took them to a friend’s house for afternoon tea and they disappeared quickly. How many will this make I hear you ask? Well it depends on how big you make them. Twentysomething? ish?
4 large egg whites
340g caster sugar
340g ground almonds
1.5 tsp almond extract (or 2 tbsp amaretto if you’re feeling fancy)
- Heat oven to 170C.
- Line 2 or 3 baking trays with greaseproof or parchment.
- Make meringue part 1 – Whisk up the egg whites until they’re stiff and you can hold the bowl upside down over your head without worry. Deffo do this using an electric whisk or freestanding mixer.
- Make meringue part 2 – slowly add a tablespoon of sugar at a time and keep whisking until the sugar is combined and the meringue is glossy.
- Gently fold in the ground almonds using a metal spoon (so you won’t be tempted to beat them in and lose all of that air).
- Stir in the essence or amaretto.
- Using 2 teaspoons (or from a piping bag), dollop blobs of the meringue onto your baking trays, leaving room for a little expansion. Using a piping bag will create the accidental boobs effect (see photo below).
- Bake for 15 mins until starting to colour, leave to cool on the tray.