This is Mary Berry’s recipe, and let’s face it, if Mezza Bezza says this is how to make blueberry muffins, well, This Is How To Make Blueberry Muffins. Blueberries are super ripe right now, so the ones that don’t get scoffed in handfuls straight from the fridge whenever I open the door are being turned into muffins and smoothies regularly.
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g soft salted butter
75g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
175g blueberries (frozen’s fine)
- Heat oven to 180C and put paper cases into a 12 whole muffin tin.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl, mix, then add the butter and rub it in using your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the caster sugar, lemon zest and blueberries – stir really gently so you don’t burst the bluebs.
- Mix the milk, eggs & vanilla in a jug, then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir gently but thoroughly.
- Carefully divide between the muffin cases using a spoon or two.
- Bake for 20 mins until golden and the muffins spring back to a light touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool trying not to burn your fingers.