Me Want Cookies. I know how Cookie Monster feels, because me generally (always) do want cookies. Actually my favourite biscuit is probably a custard cream, but this cookie is absolutely excellent in its caramelly toffee chewiness, plus the dough is also rather wonderful chopped up and mixed into vanilla ice-cream, so it’s one that I recommend. One recent batch was described as ‘spectacular’ and ‘the best thing ever’ by a recipient, so I’ll take that as a general thumbs up. You do need to chill the dough for a couple of hours minimum before baking, so bear that in mind, as these can’t be made in a hurry. Recipe from a Waitrose recipe card, and makes about 12.
200g unsalted butter, room temp
300g light brown sugar
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp free flowing salt
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a large saucepan for five minutes or so until the sugar has dissolved, giving it an occasional stir, then scrape it into a large bowl, pop it in the fridge, and leave to cool for another 5-10 minutes.
- Sift and mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon + salt) in a bowl and set to one side.
- Beat the egg and vanilla into the butter/sugar mix, then beat in the dry ingredients until it all comes together in a paste.
- Cover with a piece of cling film right on the surface of the dough, then pop the bowl back in the fridge for a couple of hours or more.
- When you’re ready to bake, line 2 baking trays with baking paper/greaseproof paper, and heat the oven to 180C fan.
- Scoop out pieces of dough weighing about 70g each, and roll them into balls. Space them out on the trays, leaving plenty of room for them to spread, because they really will.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until they’re cracking on the top, them remove and leave to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack – don’t overcook them or you’ll lose the chewiness, plus they’ll firm up a bit as they cool.
- Non-plussed cat optional.
One thought on “Chewy brown sugar cookies”