Oh boy this is good, it’s really, really good. This, with a glass of red on a Saturday evening and I’m a very happy girl. I can’t say this recipe is particularly authentic, but as my veg patch is still producing endless courgettes, I’m still chopping them into everything! Serves 4.
1 pack of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
1 courgette, chopped into 0.5cm cubes
4 eggs + 2 yolks
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
100g parmesan, grated
Salt + pepper
500g dried spaghetti
- Put your pasta on to cook until al dente, and heat up your serving plates in a sink of hot water.
- Put the bacon into a large frying pan and heat until the fat starts to render out, then fling in the courgettes and crushed garlic and continue to fry. A little colour on the courgettes wouldn’t go amiss at this point. Season with plenty of pepper, and salt depending on the saltiness of your bacon.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, extra yolks, and cheese and set aside.
- As soon as your pasta is ready, scoop out a mugful of the cooking water, then drain in a colander and tip into the bacon.
- Quickly toss the spaghetti in the bacon/courgettes to coat with the fat from the pan while still on the heat.
- Get someone else to dry your plates and get them ready.
- Turn the pan right down and pour in the egg/cheese mix and mix rapidly, to coat the pasta and let the residual heat cook the egg (without making a scrambly mess). Add in a little of the reserved cooking water if it’s all too thick.
- Serve immediately on warmed plates.