This cake is one of my favourite ever cakes, in part because it’s the cake I made for my daughter’s first birthday, well over a decade ago. But also because it’s the kind of cake you hope you’re getting when you order a piece of cake. It’s absolutely yummy and the only carrot cake recipe I use.
2 packed cups grated carrots
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sultanas/raisins
1 cup self raising flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp free flowing salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g soft unsalted butter
100g full fat cream cheese
300g icing sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Small handful chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 180C, grease and line the bottom of two 20cm sandwich tins. Grab your self three bowls – one big, two smaller.
- In one of the small bowls mix together the carrots, walnuts & sultanas and set aside. This is bowl 1.
- In the second small bowl, sieve and mix together the flour, spices, baking powder, bicarb & salt, and set aside. This is bowl 2.
- In bowl 3, the large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, both sugars and vanilla.
- Sieve the dry ingredients from bowl 2 into bowl 3, and mix well. I know you’ve already sieved them once, but hey, a second time can’t hurt.
- Then fold in the carrots/nuts/sultanas from bowl 1.
- Scrape into the two prepared tins, shimmy to level, and bake for 25 minutes until the cakes bounce back to a light touch in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out, remove the lining paper and allow to cool.
- In the mean time, put the butter for the icing into a bowl and beat until smooth. Then add in the cream cheese and beat until smooth again.
- Next, sieve in the icing sugar gently, and use a wooden spoon to beat until (you’ve guessed it) smooth. It’ll be pretty thick, so use the vanilla extract and a tablespoon of milk to loosen it a little if needs be.
- Grate in the orange zest and mix in thoroughly.
- When the sponges are completely cool, place one on your serving plate, spread over half of the icing, then repeat.
- Scatter over the walnuts, and try not to eat it all too quickly.