This salad is A) yummy, B) pretty, plus C) a batch lasts me all week for lunch, so in my book it’s a winner. What’s not to like about winter veg, grains, herbs, spices and nuts? Result! The recipe is from the Waitrose Food Magazine, which I highly recommend if you can get your hands on it each month, it’s always full of good stuff. Serves 4 ish.
150g pearl barley
10g salted butter
1 small swede (about 600g ish)
2 red onions
Slurp olive oil
50g chopped pistachios
0.5 tbsp coriander seeds
0.5 tbsp fennel seeds
0.5 tbsp caraway seeds
Small handful chopped parsley
Small handful chopped dill
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp honey
1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Cook the pearl barley by washing it well, covering in plenty of cold water, bringing to the boil and then simmering for 30 minutes until it is tender.
- Drain well and stir in the butter.
- While the pearl barley is cooking, peel and chop all of the veg into bitesized chunks (chop the onion into wedges) and toss in a large baking tray with the oil and plenty of seasoning.
- Roast for 30 minutes or so until starting to char in places, caramelise and the veg is soft.
- In the mean time, put the spices in a dry pan and toast for 5 minutes or so until aromatic, and grind them down a bit in a pestle and mortar.
- Then, in a small bowl or jam jar, mix/shake together the dressing ingredients.
- When the pearl barley and veg are done, serve them up with the dressing, herbs, spices and pistachios.
- Toss to combine and tuck in. Save all the leftovers and munch them all week.