This could not be simpler to make, and is seriously the best way to start an evening in the sunshine. Or an afternoon BBQ. Or when you can’t find anything in the fridge bar a block of halloumi, a lemon, and some salad. Or just because. A bit of marinating, a bit of frying (in a dry frying pan), and ta-daaaa! Watch these cheesy delights appear before your very eyes, only to then disappear fast because they are utterly delicious. This is enough nibbly bits for 4 people. Just.
2 blocks halloumi (about 550g)
4 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
Sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- Put the honey and lemon juice in a sealable container or sealable bag and mix together well until combined.
- Slice the cheese into whatever kind of strips or cubes take your fancy, then pop them into the marinade, seal your container and gently tip upside down and side to side to ensure the halloumi has all been covered.
- Fling it in the fridge for an hour minimum, giving it a tip about when you remember.
- When you’re ready to eat, heat a frying pan and add half of the cheese (but retain the marinade) cooking on each side until dry, softened, and golden.
- Remove to a serving dish and cook the rest in the same way.
- Tip the retained marinade into the same pan, let it bubble and thicken a bit, then pour over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with the thyme leaves, and serve immediately while still lovely and warm. A bit of bread to mop up the remaining sauce wouldn’t go amiss.