Try saying that after a glass or two of Christmas sherry! Inspired by the Ottolenghi Brussels Sprouts Nests that my sister made as a Christmas Day starter a few years, this is my way to stay festive while feeling like I’m not full to the brim with food. I make enough of the salad for 2 people, then it’s just a case of adding dressing and eggs as and when desired. Isn’t it pretty?
Salad for 2:
250g radishes, finely sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp caster sugar
250g Brussels sprouts, shredded
1 small courgette, grated
Handful dill leaves
1 tbsp pumpkin/sunflower seeds
2 large eggs per person, soft boiled
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Start by pickling the radishes by mixing them with the vinegar and sugar and leaving to stand for 10 minutes minimum.
- In the mean time, prepare your salad veg, and toss them in a bowl with the seeds and dill.
- Shake the dressing ingredients to mix in an old jam jar, or whisk together with a fork.
- Soft boil the eggs (Room temp eggs, lowered into boiling water and left to boil for 7 minutes, then run under cold water until cool enough to peel).
- When ready to eat, drain the radishes well and add them to the salad.
- Drizzle over the dressing, add the eggs and tuck in. I like a bit of extra salt & pepper on my eggs, but that’s entirely up to you.
Note: Feel free to pad this out with some new potatoes if that’s what you feel like. Or add nuts instead of seeds. There’s no rules here!