It’s not hard to see why this salad is a stone cold classic – it’s delicious, substantial, easy to make and appears to contain all known food groups. If you’re lacking in any particular ingredient just leave it out, or substitute with anything you have to hand – once you have tuna, eggs and green beans in there then anything goes really. Serves 2 ish.
300g potatoes, unpeeled, cut into chunks
3 large eggs
75g green beans
1 little gem lettuce
2 jarred red peppers
1 tin of tuna
75g olives of choice (make sure they’re pitted)
Small handful chopped parsley
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 anchovy fillets
1 tbsp capers
1 tsp dijon mustard
Plenty of salt + pepper
- Boil a large pan of water, add in the potatoes, eggs, and a good pinch of salt and cook for 6 minutes.
- Throw in the green beans and cook for a further 4 minutes. Drain, lift out the eggs, and sit them under cold running water for a minute, then peel and quarter them.
- While that’s all happening, pull apart the lettuce, rip the red peppers into strips, and start to assemble the salad.
- Make the dressing by chopping up the capers and anchovies and putting them and all of the other dressing ingredients in a jam jar and giving it a good shake.
- Then it’s just an assembly job – load up your plate, drizzle over the dressing and tuck in.