This super pretty beetroot salad is by Honey & Co for Waitrose Magazine, and I’ve made it three times already – it’s perfect to zhuzh up a midweek lunch of leftover BBQ chicken with salad, or as a side salad to basically anything you care to eat. It’s sooooo much more interesting than just a cube of beetroot that you’re trying not to drop down your front which would inevitably stain your clothes (or maybe that’s just me, I’m clumsy), and also rather wonderful to nibble out of Tupperware from the fridge when you’re feeling peckish. Serves 4.
500g cooked beetroot
60ml red wine vinegar
1 large banana shallot
Or 1 small red onion
0.5 tsp salt
0.5 tbsp caster sugar
100g greek yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
Some chopped chives
Or chopped spring onions
- Chop the beetroot into chunks and set aside in a bowl. Feel free to boil beetroot from scratch, but I use vacuum packed cooked beetroot (deffo NOT the ones in vinegar).
- Finely chop the shallot or onion, and put it into a small saucepan along with the vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Bring to the boil slowly, then turn off the heat and tip the whole lot over the beetroot.
- Stir well, and fling into the fridge until completely cold. This probably won’t take long if the beetroot was in the fridge before you chopped it up.
- All that’s left to do is to stir in the oil and yoghurt, check for seasoning (I usually add some salt), then serve with chopped chives or spring onion.